From: Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with gpm, allready asked for help, but no response
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 02:46:25
1 Miguel S. Filipe wrote:
2
3 >>On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Miguel S. Filipe wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>I'm sending this to both ML, because I allready asked for help on IRC
6 >>>and gentoo-user, but nobody could solve the problem.
7 >>>
8 >>>Problem:
9 >>>
10 >>> While booting up gpm gives me some errors and sets some wrong
11 >>>protocol, conclusion: mouse get unusable!
12 >>>This is particulary boring because X listens to a gpm mouse repeater.
13 >>>
14 >>>If I logon and do: /etc/init.d/gpm restart
15 >>>mouse gets configuredly correctly, and now I can go to X and login.
16 >>>
17 >>>So, why is gpm at boot up being wrongly configured if the
18 >>>/etc/conf.d/gpm seems to be OK, since we can configure the mouse
19 >>>correctly with "/etc/init.d/gpm restart"
20 >>>
21 >>>Can anyone help me out?
22 >>> Is this a bug?
23 >>> Is this gpm error/fault, boot alignment/sequence error/fault, kernel
24 >>>setup error/fault, gentoo error/fault?
25 >>>
26 >>>here are the settings in /etc/conf.d/gpm and the error outputed by gpm
27 >>>at boot time:
28 >>>
29
30 <snip>
31
32 I had similar issues and solved it with these small changes ...
33
34 >>>>--- /etc/conf.d/gpm ---
35 >>># Config file for /etc/init.d/gpm
36 >>>
37 >>># The type of mouse you have and the device it is connected to
38 >>>
39 >>>MOUSE=imps2
40
41 Change to:
42 MOUSE="imps2" # note the quotes
45 >>>MOUSEDEV=/dev/mouse
46
47 Change to:
48
49 MOUSEDEV="/dev/mouse" # again, note the quotes
50
51 >>>
52 >>>
53 >>># Extra settings
54 >>>
55 >>>REPEAT_TYPE=imps2
56
57 I've got this set to:
58
59 REPEAT_TYPE=raw
60
61 >>>#RESPONSIVENESS=
62 >>>#APPEND="-g 1 -A 60"
63 >>>--cut--
64
65 HTH,
66 Troy
69 I distrust a man who says when. If he's got to be careful not to drink
70 too much, it's because he's not to be trusted when he does.
71 -- Sidney Greenstreet, "The Maltese Falcon"