From: Michael Marineau <marineam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/profile.d/
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:27:53
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 15 July 2005 06:56 pm, Herbert Fischer wrote:
3 >
4 >>Thanks... I saw that "bug" and saw that it is very old (from 2002) and
5 >>nothing was done. Did you know why?
8 > hmm, us baselayout guys have discussed it before, but i guess we've never
9 > posted to the bug
10 >
11 > the only thing we really have against it is the potential of developer
12 > abuse ... that is, we feel that ebuild authors should *never* install a file
13 > there, it should only ever contain files created by the user
14 > -mike
15
16 Does the risk of abuse outweigh the potential usefulness that much? My
17 vote would be to do more of this sort of thing. Reducing the
18 oppertunity for users to shoot themselves in the foot would be good.
19
20 speeking of shooting feet, it's be a pretty interesting statistic to see
21 how many times people have borked their system by accidently replacing
22 their fstab :-P
25 Michael Marineau
26 marineam@g.o
27 Gentoo Linux Developer