From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-3 draft: slot operator support
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:06:19
1 On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
2 > roughly 90% packages depending on one of:
3 >
4 > sys-libs/db
5
6 Why the hell does this have so many slots in-tree? I am unaware of the
7 reasons for it. Horribly changed API every release? How does every
8 other distro handle sys-libs/db ?
9
10 > dev-libs/boost
11
12 Has one unmasked slot in-tree
13
14 > dev-lang/python
17 So, wait, you want to depend on specific slots of python and keep them
18 around, and manage all their related bugs? Isn't that exactly the
19 opposite of what python upstream suggests, and *ALL* distros do?
20
21 > Besides: We wouldn't need the need_python_rebuild anymore, users could
22 > safely uninstall old sys-libs/db versions, old dev-libs/boost versions
23
24 @preserved-libs. More generic, a low-level catch-all for library
25 breakages, and more convenient for users (rebuild as and when
26 possible, not *right now* lest everything break).
27
28 > and the list of packages to reinstall in python-updater boils down to
29 > what "paludis -u dev-lang/python:2.4" spits out as reverse-dependencies
30 > (or the corresponding portage command).
31
32 You mean emerge -C dev-lang/python:2.4 ? That'll say "bai bai python".
33
34 In any case, what is wrong with python_need_rebuild ?
35
36 Slot operators need changes to the ebuilds, so does python_need_rebuild.
37 Slot operators need an EAPI bump for the ebuild, python_need_rebuild doesn't.
38
39 So, isn't python_need_rebuild superior.. ?
43 ~Nirbheek Chauhan