From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:59:13
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Actually, yes. Gentoo has never been a hand-holding distribution. We
3 > try to provide documentation and reasonable defaults for any apps the
4 > user chooses to install, and let the user configure what they will.
7 Gentoo is about choice. Well, except for the choice to not have to
8 choose...
9
10 I don't see why having some nice polished sets of use flags is a bad
11 thing. Personally, I find it a pain when I've emerged half of my system
12 only to find out I left out some critical use flag (my use flags take up
13 several lines now). Sure, leave users a choice, but there is no harm in
14 giving them some pointers.
15
16 Gentoo should be fully usable in a USE="" state, but that doesn't mean
17 that we need to make users start out from this point.