From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: Abhishek Amit <abhishekamit2000@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:35:15
1 On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:21:46 -0700
2 Abhishek Amit <abhishekamit2000@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 12:39 Mon 14 Apr , C. Brewer wrote:
5 > > On 14 Apr 2003 11:07:01 -0400
6 > > Brad Laue <brad@××××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Perhaps a combination. If it builds succesfully with ALSA, KDE, GNOME in
9 > > > the USE flags and sufficient numbers of people report this, mark it
10 > > > stable. Also leave three prior release versions available for
11 > > > installation marked stable in case the latest introduces a flaw caused
12 > > > by programmer error. Introduce patches and fixes to the ebuilds as bugs
13 > > > are reported.
14 > >
15 > > While I don't oppose your or anyones use of KDE, GNOME, or alsa, some things must be taken into consideration. I, for one, don't use a desktop environment, preferring a window-manager for my tasks, and I'm sure that I am not alone. Therefore you have negated that many testers with this sort of proposal (I for one run completely unstable). Secondly, while alsa may be the sound system of the future, it does not support all cards and some people are restricted to the kernel mods. Shorten your list of testers again. And since KDE and such require X, you leave out all of your CLI users, which will probably be your most critical old-schoolers and ex-UNIX peeps (gross stereotyping here). I think that it should stay that if it builds and runs with a reasonable amount of positive reports vs. bugs then it should go stable. I just wanted to point out that certain matters of selectiveness will negate your amount of testers, and probably work against your ends.
18 > > --
19 > > Chuck Brewer
20 > > Registered Linux User #284015
21 > > Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.
26 > While we may not(we being users of wms only) use desktop enviorments, KDE and GNOME are still in the default USE flags. ALSA is also in there(/etc/make.profile/use.defaults). I think that the defualt flags should be the basis of testing, and note I am writing this from mutt in flxbox.
27 >
28 I realize that those are the default flags, and I can't speak for anyone else, but the first thing I did was "-" all that DE noise, so I don't have those, but I'm still unstable, ans testing, when other won't..so do I not count now?:)
31 Chuck Brewer
32 Registered Linux User #284015
33 Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.