From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:52:47
1 Hi Mark,
2
3 Thanks for posting this. I've a few suggestions to make (see below). I
4 support all the other points in your proposal.
5
6 On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 17:22 -0500, Mark Loeser wrote:
7 > * In case of emergency, or if package maintainers refuse to cooperate,
8 > the QA team may take action themselves to fix the problem.
9
10 I'd like to see this say
11
12 * In case of emergency, or after a failed appeal by the package
13 maintainer to the council, the QA team may take action themselves
14 to fix the problem, if the package maintainer(s) are unavailable
15 or refuse to co-operate.
16
17 That still gives the QA team the powers it needs for an enforcement
18 role, which is all that it needs.
19
20 > * In the event that a developer still insists that a package does not
21 > break QA standards, an appeal can be made at the next council meeting. The
22 > package should be dealt with per QA's request until such a time that a
23 > decision is made by the council.
24
25 I'd like to see an alternative wording:
26
27 * In the event that a developer still insists that a package does not
28 break QA standards, or that the QA standards are somehow defective,
29 an appeal can be made at the next council meeting.
30
31 If it is an emergency, then the QA team is still free to intervene
32 before the council meeting. But, where it isn't an emergency, there is
33 no need for immediate action, and so there should be no action until the
34 appeal has been heard.
35
36 The original wording is, imho, unfairly unbalanced. What will happen
37 under the original wording is that the QA team is free to force their
38 demands up front, and most developers will go with the flow rather than
39 take the trouble to take the issue to the council.
40
41 The QA team has no monopoly on what is right or wrong in Gentoo, and
42 neither do package maintainers. If there is a disagreement that leads
43 to an appeal, the onus should be on the QA team to have to present their
44 case to the council, as they are the ones pushing for change.
45
46 > * Just because a particular QA violation has yet to cause an issue does
47 > not change the fact that it is still a QA violation.
48
49 I'd support the above if the following statement was also included:
50
51 * QA standards, and the actions required to resolve them, must be
52 pragmatic and proportional to the impact on actual end-users of
53 Gentoo.
54
55 Gentoo would be best served by a QA team that spent its time tackling
56 issues that are urgent and important to end-users (quadrant 1 & 2
57 activities). A QA team that gets bogged down in the thick of thin
58 things is a symptom of a team that has become self-serving.
59
60 > * The QA team will maintain a list of current "QA Standards". The list
61 > is not meant by any means to be a comprehensive document, but rather a
62 > dynamic document that will be updated as new problems are discovered.
63
64 These QA standards are policy changes that affect the whole tree. The
65 QA team does *not* own QA policy - we all do, as contributors to Gentoo.
66 I'm asking the council to agree an adequate process for the approval of
67 QA standards by a wider group than just the QA team. Maybe changes
68 could be batched up into a GLEP, say once a quarter, with the option of
69 fast-tracking GLEPs in between for emergency QA policy changes? This
70 would allow the QA team to perform effectively, and have the added
71 benefit of ensuring that the wider developer community knew what was
72 coming in advance, and could "buy in" to the changes.
73
74 There's a secondary issue here for me. None of our tools are perfect;
75 we all have to work pragmatically within the capabilities of what we
76 have. Some of the real QA issues in the tree arise from the limitations
77 of our tools. I'd like to see the following incorporated into the QA
78 team's mandate.
79
80 * If the QA team wishes to push standards about specific aspects of
81 our tools, then those standards must be endorsed by the leads of
82 those tools.
83
84 Why? Because the QA team has no monopoly on what is right and wrong
85 with the tree. If any proposed QA standard cannot pass a simple litmus
86 test of the endorsement of the leads of the tools, how can it be fit for
87 enforcement against the wider development community? What is a package
88 maintainer to do? He/she can't go back to the tools team in question
89 and ask for a fix; all they will get is that the tools team in question
90 doesn't agree with the QA team, and doesn't support that particular
91 standard. Better to have QA standards that are strongly supported than
92 to have QA standards supported by just the one team.
93
94 I'd like to see the QA team's primary role stated as "educational"
95 first, then watchdog, then intervener in that order (emergencies
96 not-withstanding).
97
98 With that in mind, I suggest that the QA standards must include
99 educational information about the problem(s) that the standard
100 addresses, before they can be approved. This is in no way to challenge
101 the legitimacy of the agreed standards. It's to help all developers do
102 better QA on their own work (everyone does a better job if they
103 understand the reasons why). It also serves the dual purpose of helping
104 the next generation of QA testers when the current team members have
105 moved on. This could be Ciaran's opportunity to see TheDoc become an
106 "offical" document. There are few things worse than standards
107 autocratically and inflexibily applied long after the original
108 supporters have left, and no-one else can remember why they were
109 necessary in the first place.
110
111 There *may* be arguments about how much effort it takes to produce this
112 educational material, and I'm sympathetic to that. But for me, what it
113 boils down to is this: QA is something that we all need to do. I'd
114 rather have a QA team that's busy teaching the rest of us do things
115 better than spending all its time cleaning up after a developer
116 community that becomes more dazed and confused and left behind as time
117 goes on. And it also scales much better :)
118
119 This document does nothing to address the QA of anything other than the
120 package tree. If the scope of the team is limited to just the package
121 tree, then I'd like to see the team named appropriately - tree-qa
122 perhaps - because they would be a general, all-ranging QA team.
123
124 Best regards,
125 Stu
126 --
127 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
128 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
129 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
130
131 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
132 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C