From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: proj/portage:master commit in: pym/portage/dbapi/
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:26:30
On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
> But in this particular case, I don't think COW is particularly useful. > If it works only on filesystem bounds, we could move the file directly > anyway.
Yup - I would only use it if you really are doing a copy and not a move (neglecting the fact that the implementation of a cross-filesystem move does a copy first). I imagine many ebuilds do copy operations internally, but probably not to an extent where it would make much difference. I'm not sure how doins/dobin/etc are implemented - I think they're copies and so allowing for the fact that not everybody uses a tmpfs it might make sense to fix those. Rich