From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 22:38:25
1 On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM, <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Question... when Sun made OpenOffice depend on Java (also a Sun
3 > product) did Gentoo developers run around suggesting that Java be made a
4 > part of the core Gentoo base system? I don't think so. If a user wants
5 > to run GNOME badly enough, he'll switch to systemd. I don't see why the
6 > rest of us (i.e. non-users of GNOME) should have to follow along and
7 > reconfigure our systems. This is a case of the tail wagging the dog.
8
9 It will probably be more than a decade before anybody is FORCED to run
10 systemd on Gentoo. You don't even have to run udev on Gentoo.
11
12 It will probably be years before the default even changes, assuming
13 the trajectory of systemd remains as it seems to be.
14
15 I think people are really getting carried away here. I believe the
16 udev team generally wants to follow upstream udev, and there is eudev
17 and busybox mdev for those who don't want that. No distro provides so
18 many ways of avoiding systemd. I don't see that changing anytime
19 soon.
20
21 This thread just started out asking maintainers to commit unit files
22 when asked, that's all. Anybody who doesn't want them can mask them.
23 If anybody feels eudev/openrc/whatever isn't progressing enough they
24 can contribute improvements to these packages, or pay somebody else to
25 do it for them. Developers work on what they want to work on. If no
26 devs can be bothered with systemd then it will die on the vine, and if
27 no developers choose to work on openrc the same will happen there.
28 Either is unlikely, though the "market share" of either is likely to
29 change over time.
30
31 Rich