From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flag documentation
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:29:19
1 I like the overall idea. I will comment the first proposed alternative
2 as this is the one that makes the most sense in my opinion.
3
4 > Having one global use.xml where the default definitions are, and then using metadata.xml for each package to override the USE flag definition.
5
6 With 's/default definitions/global USE flag definitions/' and
7 's/override the USE flag definition/define the local USE flags/' I
8 would be even happier. Global USE flags should be defined in a central
9 place and never be overridden. Local flags should be defined locally
10 i.e. in the package subdirectory.
11
12 I'd even go as far as adding that metadata.xml could include some
13 clarifications/specifics/notes/warnings/whatever about a global USE
14 flag for a given package, but that should not be a redefinition of the
15 global USE flag. This would be appended by third party tools to
16 complement the definition of the global USE flag in the context of
17 that particular package.
18
19 > Problems with this approach include...
20 > * Easy to duplicate USE flags since we don't have a central repository for them.
21
22 I'm not following you here. We'd have a central use.xml, so what do
23 you mean ? And it's OK for local flags to be conflicting or duplicated
24 since they're local.
25
26 > Lots of small files to go and parse to get the full picture of the tree.
27
28 This can be cached.
29
30 Denis.