From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: automatically mailing people on pkgcheck problems with their packages
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 19:11:35
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 12/06/2015 06:36 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > As you have seen multiple times, I'm running a minimalistic CI
8 > service for Gentoo that checks the repository for major issues
9 > using pkgcheck. So far it's automation is limited to sending a mail
10 > to dedicated gentoo-automated-testing@l.g.o mailing list
11 > on breakage changes. From there, I compare the results to recent
12 > git log and mail the developers at fault, pointing out the bad
13 > commit.
14 >
15 > A few developers have already subscribed to the mailing list to
16 > check if they haven't caused any new breakages and fix them
17 > quickly. For others, it's pretty much just me caring to check,
18 > which also means that when I'm not around things are left broken.
19 >
20 > Automating the blaming process has been suggested multiple times
21 > already but I so far considered it not worth the effort. Mostly
22 > because many of the issues are indirect, and trying to
23 > automatically figure them out from combination of the pkgcheck
24 > report and recent commits would be hard, and could cause false
25 > positives. For example, some of the depgraph breakages happen
26 > because of package.mask changes -- figuring that out automatically
27 > wouldn't be easy, and the script could blame an irrelevant commit
28 > in the package.
29 >
30 > However, it was suggested recently that I could make it mail the
31 > maintainers of the affected packages. Even though most often it's
32 > not them who are at fault, it was suggested that they'd prefer to
33 > know that their packages are broken.
34 >
35 > So what do you think? Would it be fine to mail the package
36 > maintainers whenever their packages break? Would it be a problem if
37 > I just CC-ed all the maintainers on the gentoo-automated-testing
38 > mails? Please note that the breakages are catched per-package, and
39 > the script wouldn't be able to respect restrict="" or hand-written
40 > maintainer descriptions ;-).
43 Sounds fine to me. It's annoying when I come across something that
44 breaks my deptree, and I don't want my packages to break things,
45 either. No complaints here, as long as it's clear what the screw-up is.
46
47 - --
48 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
49 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
50 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6