From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new `usex` helper
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 09:06:55
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:00:19PM -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 17:29 Wed 14 Sep , Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 02:16:41PM -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > > > On 19:14 Tue 13 Sep , Brian Harring wrote:
5 > > > > On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 09:02:28PM -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6 > > > > > On 17:56 Tue 13 Sep , Mike Frysinger wrote:
7 > > > > > > useful enough for EAPI ? or should i just stick it into eutils.eclass
8 > > > > > > ? OR BOTH !?
9 > > > > >
10 > > > > > I prefer to avoid EAPI whenever possible, as it just makes things slower
11 > > > > > and more complex.
12 > > > >
13 > > > > Exactly the wrong approach; it winds up with master
14 > > > > repositories/overlays cloning the functionality all over the damn
15 > > > > place.
16 > > >
17 > > > Why are people cloning anything if it's in eutils.eclass in gentoo-x86?
18 > >
19 > > There are more repositories than just gentoo-x86, and overlay is *not*
20 > > the only configuration in use.
21 >
22 > Who else besides you is using any other configuration? Should we really
23 > give a crap about the 0.001% population with some weird setup when we're
24 > trying to improve things for the 99.999% one?
25
26 Specious argument; the point of controllable stacking was to avoid the
27 issue of overlay's forcing their eclasses upon gentoo-x86 ebuilds
28 (which may not support those modified eclasses) via the old
29 PORTDIR_OVERLAY behaviour. This is why multiple repositories have
30 layout.conf master definitions- to explicitly mark that they
31 require/consume a seperate repo.
32
33 What you're basically proposing is a variation of the "push format
34 definitions into a central tree, and require everyone to use that
35 central tree". This discussion has come and gone; I say that being
36 one of the folks who was *pushing for the repository solution*. The
37 problem there is it fundamentally enables (more forces) fragmentation.
38
39 Realistically I assume you're taking the stance "EAPI gets in the way,
40 lets do away with it"- if so, well, out with it, and I'll dredge up
41 the old logs/complaints that lead to EAPI.
44 > > In the old days of the PM only handling a single overlay stack, what
45 > > you're suggesting would be less heinous- heinous in detail, but
46 > > pragmatic in reality. These days it's a regressive approach-
47 > > requiring everyone to slave gentoo-x86 isn't sane, nor is avoiding
48 > > eapi (resulting in people having to duplicate code into each
49 > > repository stack).
50 >
51 > I don't know many people who aren't using gentoo-x86 or a repo that
52 > pulls in changes directly from it.
53
54 rephrase please; either you're saying "everyone uses gentoo-x86" which
55 is sort of true (funtoo/chrome aren't necessarily riding HEAD/trunk
56 however which means things can get ugly for derivative repository
57 usage), but still ignores the situations where people have overlays
58 w/ developmental eclasses that they need to selectively control where
59 it overrides (which is where the notion of repo stacking comes into
60 play).
61 ~brian