From: Peter Fein <pfein@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Several portage trees
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:09:12
1 On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:23:08 -0400 (EDT)
2 Todd Berman <tberman@×××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Peter Fein wrote:
7 >
8 > > > >
9 > > > > I think it solves a lot of complains about flexibility and edging of
10 > > > > Gentoo.
11 > > > >
12 > > >
13 > > > What complaints ? Is it so hard to download an ebuild in put it in your
14 > > > local overlay ? The extra step required does make sure you are aware
15 > > > that you are using non-approved ebuilds.
16 > >
17 > > I'd be aware I'd be using non-approved ebuilds if I set those vars in the
18 > > first place & portage warned/notified me which repository it was installing
19 > > from. This architecture rocks - restricting it to approved packages only
20 > > deprives folks of a really great tool (wow, I'm sounding awfully "software
21 > > wants to be free" today...).
22 >
23 > I'd have to disagree with you here, I think it would be a bad idea to have
24 > something like this set up. What would happen if 'proper' gentoo has
25 > package foo version 1.0 and it depends on package bar 0.5, and breaks with
26 > anything newer. Then one of your new rsync's puts in package bar 0.7 and
27 > breaks the 'official' foo package for you. Just seems like a lose lose
28 > situation.
29
30 Shouldn't it be <=bar-0.5'd then anyway? Just thinkin...
31
32 > The advantage of gentoo and portage is your are being told that these
33 > packages SHOULD work together, and if they dont, put in a bug, and we will
34 > figure out why.
35
36 Hmm, I hadn't thought of it like that - for me, it's the customization plus the
37 automation of a lot of the tedious stuff - dependencies, downloading, etc..
38
39 > And remember, if you need a new package, just install it from source, its
40 > not that hard :)
41
42 You're right, it's not so bad. Though at work, I've got to deal with compiling
43 stuff on a half-maintained Solaris x86 platform. I haven't built anything
44 remotely complex in less than 3 days - it's skewered my perspective... ;)
45
46 --Pete
49 Peter Fein
50 pfein@×××××.com