From: Peter Fein <pfein@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Several portage trees
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:09:12
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:23:08 -0400 (EDT)
Todd Berman <tberman@×××××××××.org> wrote:

> > > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Peter Fein wrote: > > > > > > > > > I think it solves a lot of complains about flexibility and edging of > > > > Gentoo. > > > > > > > > > > What complaints ? Is it so hard to download an ebuild in put it in your > > > local overlay ? The extra step required does make sure you are aware > > > that you are using non-approved ebuilds. > > > > I'd be aware I'd be using non-approved ebuilds if I set those vars in the > > first place & portage warned/notified me which repository it was installing > > from. This architecture rocks - restricting it to approved packages only > > deprives folks of a really great tool (wow, I'm sounding awfully "software > > wants to be free" today...). > > I'd have to disagree with you here, I think it would be a bad idea to have > something like this set up. What would happen if 'proper' gentoo has > package foo version 1.0 and it depends on package bar 0.5, and breaks with > anything newer. Then one of your new rsync's puts in package bar 0.7 and > breaks the 'official' foo package for you. Just seems like a lose lose > situation.
Shouldn't it be <=bar-0.5'd then anyway? Just thinkin...
> The advantage of gentoo and portage is your are being told that these > packages SHOULD work together, and if they dont, put in a bug, and we will > figure out why.
Hmm, I hadn't thought of it like that - for me, it's the customization plus the automation of a lot of the tedious stuff - dependencies, downloading, etc..
> And remember, if you need a new package, just install it from source, its > not that hard :)
You're right, it's not so bad. Though at work, I've got to deal with compiling stuff on a half-maintained Solaris x86 platform. I haven't built anything remotely complex in less than 3 days - it's skewered my perspective... ;) --Pete -- Peter Fein pfein@×××××.com 773-575-0694 -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list