From: Justin Whitney <ripple@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] djbdns 1.05-r8 breaks forward-only behaviour of dnscache
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:43:25
1 Hi,
2
3 The round-robin patch included in the djbdns-1.05-r8 ebuild breaks
4 default dnscache FORWARDONLY behaviour. this means that servers/@ and
5 env/FORWARDONLY are not honored, and the ns roots are queried for
6 lookups. The result of the patch is that if you set FORWARDONLY and
7 servers/@ to a non-root cache, expecting to make efficient use of, say,
8 your ISP's nameservers, you'll end up doing far more queries than you
9 intended for any given lookup... on my systems because of latency I was
10 timing out for a lot of lookups. to test, compile with rr-patch, set
11 dnscache up to do forward-only (per DJB's docs), and then sniff to see
12 the root queries I mentioned. recompile without it, and repeat to see
13 the difference.
14
15 bug filed.
16