From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 21:48:34
1 > On Sep 10, 2018, at 5:27 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On 9/10/18 11:21 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 >>> On 9/10/18 11:19 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
5 >>> It is indeed an insurmountable task to write code that is warning-free
6 >>> from the beginning across architectures, compiler versions, etc. But
7 >>> that is not the goal anyway. It is examining the situation and taking
8 >>> appropriate action, and then applying a change to no longer cause that
9 >>> particular warning (or make it non-fatal if the warning is bogus/harmless).
10 >>
11 >> sure, but for upstreams that make this an explicit goal, do we really
12 >> want to apply additional downstream pataches with the additional
13 >> complexity that carries for build system (autotools re-generation that
14 >> might make it unsupported upstream etc) ?
17 > in all fairness, for one of my upstream packages, SKS, we make -Werror
18 > part of non-release versions but remove it for releases.
19 This has been what sys-fs/zfs has been doing for years. The USE=-debug builds get -Werror while USE=-debug builds omit it. I think this is probably the solution here. USE=debug is meant to help catch bugs, even if some reports might be false positives. What it means varies on a per-package basis. I would call catching a security issue helping to catch bugs.
20 > But there are
21 > certain crypto related packages where you want the ensure it is properly
22 > handle altogether, in particular where RNG is concerned as there isn't
23 > really a proper way to test for it afterwards.. for other packages the
24 > test suite is of great importance.. if the tests are proper there isn't
25 > a great need, but sadly packages today doesn't really come with proper
26 > test suits
27 >
28 > --
29 > Kristian Fiskerstrand
30 > OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
31 > fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3