From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc: use iproute2 for all network handling in linux
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:09:05
On Sunday 13 November 2011 13:50:25 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Mike Frysinger schrieb: > > On Sunday 13 November 2011 13:04:57 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote: > >> Mike Frysinger schrieb: > >>> until we have replacement for all of its tools, it's always going to be > >>> there. > >> > >> After net-tools is no longer needed for basic setups (which I understand > >> will be still the case after the proposed changes), why should it remain > >> in the system set? > > > > you snipped the following sentence where i explained why net-tools can't > > be removed. iproute2 replaces *most* of net-tools, not *all*. > > And do we need *all* of net-tools for basic setups? You said that > currently openrc uses the host and domain name tools, but iirc sysctl > can set hostname/domainname too (note that I do not to say that using > sysctl is preferable).
for Linux, we'll be transitioning the hostname init.d script to /etc/hostname and having the rc binary reading that and calling sethostname() itself. i think the init.d script will stick around for a while as `hostname` should be a bit more portable than sethostname() ... at least, it'll be a safety net for people to fallback onto. -mike