From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:41:22
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 07 November 2006 22:47, Steve Long wrote:
4 >> I understand the ABI changes at major compiler upgrades, especially for
5 >> C++. Is this such a problem for C?
6 >
7 > i think you misread his e-mail
8 >
9 > regardless, stable ABIs guarantee forward compatibility, not backwards
10 >
11 > you're also not considering the fact that any ABI can have a bump in its
12 > version # and thus break things, not just C++
13 > -mike
14
15 Um, not sure what I misread, but I accept that for a binary distro, all
16 packages will have to be compiled under the same "system configuration" so
17 we can't possibly use pkgs compiled by the devs; they'd have to be
18 recompiled under the same setup (toolchain + all other pkgs as well.)
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list