From: Torsten Veller <ml-en@××××××.net>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPG Signed packages
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:15:17
1 * Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>:
2 > On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 21:09, Yi Qiang wrote:
3 > > how "trustful" our distfile
4 > > repositories really are. If indeed one is compromised it would be too
5 > > easy for someone to slip a backdoor into a package, especially since I
6 > > and a lot of other gentoo users simply ignore md5 checksums.
7
8 Ignoring of md5 checksums is not even necessary. As a holder of a
9 distfile mirror i can put a patch in the 'files' dir and generate a
10 suitable md5. The user will not see that he got fooled/backdoored. And
11 best: If you wait long enough (after new version) the local distfiles
12 are overwritten and every evidence in /var/db/pkg is wiped out.
13
14 > If the key server/signature is compromised you have gained nothing over
15 > the way we have it now. Adding it is just another way for something to
16 > go wrong.
17
18 Yes, but as long as your key is not compromised everyone will see that
19 the distfiles come from the same source.
20
21 > As for users doing ebuild foo.ebuild digest blindly - that's a good way
22 > to put your box at serious risk.
23
24 ACK.
27 So the user should be able to verify that every file didnot get altered.
28 And this is only possible with signified sources.
31 .: Torsten | Don't tell any big lies today. Small ones can be :.
32 .: | just as effective. :.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list