From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] PROPERTIES=set for meta-packages that should behave like package sets
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 05:32:03
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
5 > Zac Medico wrote:
6 >> Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
7 >>> On Monday 29 September 2008 01:37:03 Zac Medico wrote:
8 >>>>> Why the need for multiple solutions at all? PROPERTIES=set is too weird
9 >>>>> and involves too much nonsensical behaviour to be useful.
10 >>>> I don't see the PROPERTIES=set approach as being worse than any
11 >>>> other approach for package set definition. It has lots of advantages
12 >>>> because of the way that it fits into the existing ebuild framework
13 >>>> like virtual ebuilds do [1], allowing it to leverage all of the
14 >>>> existing features of the framework (including package.use) and also
15 >>>> allowing it to leverage the tools that have been designed to work
16 >>>> with the framework.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0037.html
19 >>> I really don't see the advantages of fitting 'into the existing ebuild
20 >>> framework like virtual ebuilds do'. Can you name any real advantages to it?
21 >> This idea initially came up when Jorge (jmbsvicetto) mentioned that
22 >> he had used a package set to replace a meta-ebuild in the
23 >> desktop-effects overlay, and then users complained that the set did
24 >> not supporting the USE conditionals that the previous meta-ebuild
25 >> had supported.
26 >
27 > For those interested, the complaints were about this meta-ebuild
28 > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/desktop-effects.git;a=blob;f=x11-wm/compiz-fusion/compiz-fusion-0.7.8.ebuild;h=91783ea46143daa90f8102936e170ff43059491b;hb=master
29 > that I replaced with the
30 > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/desktop-effects.git;a=blob;f=sets/compiz-fusion-complete;h=5281e30f5a4677f5f0ef882db9ff187883d569ea;hb=master
31 > and
32 > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/desktop-effects.git;a=blob;f=sets/compiz-fusion;h=8a7869e77ea72f54f9bea6e1b214c124c7025934;hb=master
33 > sets.
34 > Optional deps on the set would allow the user to select whether to
35 > install the gnome or kde backends and to install the unsupported plugins
36 > or not.
37
38 Let's be clear about what you mean by "optional". In this case I
39 think you mean "conditional upon USE flag settings".
40
41 > Another alternative in this case, is to use the set operators so that I
42 > have a single set for all packages and tell the user to create a set
43 > with the packages he doesn't want to install from the overlay and run
44 > emerge @compiz-fusion-@compiz-fusion-unwanted.
45
46 It seems to me that users will generally want something more
47 persistent than that, in order for world updates and --depclean
48 operations work as expected. In order to make it persistent the user
49 could use set configuration files to subtract the unwanted atoms
50 from @compiz-fusion, yet still be able to refer to it as
51 @compiz-fusion and have @compiz-fusion listed in
52 /var/lib/portage/world_sets.
53
54 >> Perhaps we can support USE conditionals in sets, but this also seems
55 >> to mean that we will need a package.use analog that applies to
56 >> package sets. Assuming that we'll need a package.use analog, we
57 >> might view the act of replacing meta-packages with sets as a sort of
58 >> "throwing the baby out with the bath water" scenario in sense that
59 >> meta-packages have lots of useful features and the only reason to
60 >> migrate them to sets would be take advantage of the unique features
61 >> which sets have to offer. So, rather than force a complete
62 >> migration, we may want to consider integrating meta-packages into
63 >> the sets framework.
64 >
65 > Can package.use syntax be extended to allow set entries?
66 > @compiz-fusion -gnome kde kde4
67
68 Perhaps, but we need to clarify how that sort of setting will affect
69 nested sets. For example, if @compiz-fusion contains nested sets,
70 would those USE settings apply to the nested sets as well? Will
71 nested sets be allowed to have independent USE settings from the
72 sets that nest them?
73 - --
74 Thanks,
75 Zac