From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:08:09
1 On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 22:31 +0200, Bryan Østergaard wrote:
2 >
3 > Consider this my last post ever to gentoo-dev ML if this really goes
4 > through. Degrading non-dev contributers like myself to second-class
5 > citizens is definitely not going to make me want to contribute
6 > anything more.
7
8 I think the idea is being taken the wrong way. Why would you think you
9 were second class?
10
11 I take it as internal stuff on -core. Gentoo developers working with
12 each other on -dev. Everyone who wants to work on the Gentoo Project,
13 devs and all can do it in -project. I don't see anything wrong with
14 levels of separation like that. Other than it being different.
15
16 It's not like all development takes place on the -dev ml. Nor will -dev
17 be private, so the public can still follow. If they need to interact.
18 There is still IRC, Bugzilla, -project, etc.
19
20 We don't let just anyone have a voice on #gentoo-dev or etc. What would
21 make the -dev ml any different? Which just like on IRC, voices could
22 still be granted to some past devs. If that goes against policy, then
23 that's just a downfall of no longer being a dev. But it might still be
24 possible to have former devs subscribed and able to post to -dev.
25
26 Either way very few in any position are allowed to retain all power,
27 privileges and etc after leaving the position. What ever it is. That's
28 not a elitist thing. That's just how things are. Doesn't make one better
29 than another, one first class or another second class.
32 William L. Thomson Jr.
33 Gentoo/Java