From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: avoiding urgent stabilizations
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 03:37:54
1 Paweł Hajdan, Jr. posted on Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:02:36 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 2/7/11 9:50 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 >> My suggestion, as I said to fosdem, is to freeze, or take a
5 >> snapshot if you like, of the current tree, stabilize what you need to
6 >> stabilize, test the whole tree ( at least compile wise ) for a couple
7 >> of weeks and then replace the existing stable tree. Of course this
8 >> requires automated script testing, hardware facilities etc etc that we
9 >> don't have so claiming that stable tree is "stable" is quite wrong.
10 >
11 > This more thorough testing sounds really interesting. But do we really
12 > lack hardware resources?
13
14 Disclaimer: I run ~arch (plus choice unmasks/overlays where ~arch is
15 already unsuitably outdated for my tastes), so this doesn't affect me
16 regardless. That said...
17
18 The above suggestion sounds to me like increasing the bureaucracy and
19 hassle of stabilizing packages even more. We already have trouble with
20 outdated stable, especially on some archs. Do we /really/ want the
21 reputation of competing with Debian-stal^hble for staleness?
22
23 Every few years someone comes up with the idea of creating a /truly/
24 stable, aka "enterprise" keyword/branch/whatever. Every few years, it
25 doesn't happen, for both resource and (arguably) philosophical reasons.
26
27 IMO, that's simply not suitable for or compatible with "mainline" Gentoo
28 and its rolling updates, etc. Yes, it's possible to do it. A lot of
29 things are "possible", but that doesn't mean they're practical. "It's
30 Gentoo, Jim, but not as we know it!"
31
32 As such, if someone/somegroup does decide to go that route, IMO the best
33 approach would be a separate Gentoo-based distribution, where freezing and
34 testing an entire tree for self-consistency and compatibility makes a bit
35 more sense. There are already a number of Gentoo-based distributions out
36 there. Certainly, talking to them about the problems they face and the
37 solutions they use, if not using one of them directly, could be a good
38 place to start.
39
40 Similarly, just as Gentoo has never made any bones about not being a hand-
41 holding distribution, in many cases, "you break, you get to keep the
42 pieces" (tho users and devs do try to help and devs do try to prevent,
43 where it's "sane" to do so), and it's not uncommon to see people saying
44 that if the install speed of a binary distribution or the centrally
45 controlled decisions of an Ubuntu are what one is after, Gentoo isn't
46 really where you should be looking, I'd say the same applies, to some
47 degree, here. Yes, we can try to keep stable breakage to a minimum, but
48 on a rolling release system, it's /going/ to happen, and I'd argue that
49 the sort of wholesale freeze-and-test discussed above really /would/ be
50 "Gentoo, Jim, but not as we know it", were it to be implemented as such in
51 Gentoo. That's not what Gentoo is /about/. The rolling updates are so
52 much a part of what makes Gentoo /Gentoo/, that take them out, as
53 wholesale freeze and test would effectively do, and you no longer have
54 Gentoo, at least as historically known.
55
56 That being the case, why confuse people about both the new product and
57 Gentoo as it currently is, by calling the new product Gentoo at all? If
58 it's effectively a Gentoo-based distribution that isn't itself Gentoo, at
59 least as historically considered, call it a Gentoo based distribution.
60 Don't call it Gentoo, thus avoiding the confusion on both sides.
61
62 JMHO, but I've been around long enough to have seen this discussion cycle
63 at least twice before... Unfortunately, the result is often the loss of a
64 few devs. OTOH, if their goal is to make Gentoo a wholesale freeze and
65 test distribution, perhaps it's better for both them and Gentoo that such
66 efforts get applied somewhere more appropriate to that goal.
67
68 OTOH, if some big name comes up with suitable big resources to devote to
69 such a project and they like the Gentoo name, perhaps a Gentoo-Enterprise
70 might indeed be practical. But the resource scaling that's going to
71 require is enough beyond what we're doing today that I'd think seeing
72 someone step up with an offer of such resources before we start seriously
73 discussing it, is a worthwhile prerequisite. And even then, making Gentoo
74 that dependent on that sort of major sponsorship, regardless of who or
75 what form, would change the historically "community distribution" aspect
76 substantially enough that arguably, that would be "Gentoo, Jim, but not as
77 we know it", as well. But at that point I guess it'd be a question for
78 the Gentoo foundation to decide, since they own the name and decide
79 permissions for it in that regard.
84 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman