From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Drop EAPI=0 requirement for system packages.
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:54:16
1 El sáb, 20-10-2012 a las 16:29 +0200, Pacho Ramos escribió:
2 [...]
3 > > And finally, as already pointed out by Rich, you should not talk about
4 > > any specific EAPI you like/prefer/want to be used everyhwere, but
5 > > instead about the issue you want to solve. So just point out the issue
6 > > and ask the maintainer to fix it. If he uses a newer EAPI, good. If he
7 > > uses another solution, which also fixes the issue, also good. We should
8 > > not discuss about a specific way to solve some issues, since this is the
9 > > maintainers choice. Our goal should instead be to fix as many issues as
10 > > possible with our limited amount of time we have for Gentoo.
14 > I have already pointed multiple examples where bumping eapi will help to
15 > improve things, not doing so because of that hypothetical problems you
16 > think could occur only leads us to current situation: a ton of autotools
17 > packages won't get --disable-silent-rules/--disable-dependency-tracking
18 > improvements because people doesn't even try to bump eapi, some more
19 > packages will hide utilities failing but not dying because of using old
20 > eapis, inconsistent blockers handling around the tree due using
21 > different eapis, packages still relying on dying in pkg_setup instead of
22 > setting proper USE deps, packages still using dohard and dosed, html
23 > files in /usr/share/doc being compressed because of old eapi usage, I
24 > even noticed past week a package still using ebeep.
25
26 Another case: all packages should benefit from mtimes preserving for
27 installed files since eapi3