From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 52 - GLEP 23 revisited
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:47:46
1 On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:05:00 -0400
2 Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 13:36 +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
5 >
6 > > Every license which a package in the portage tree depends on gets a
7 > > package in the ``txt-licenses/`` category. Its ebuild must install
8 > > the license text to ``/usr/shared/licenses/``. The initial version
9 > > shall be 1 if there is no version specified.
10 >
11 > This doesn't make sense to me. I have a copy of every license used in
12 > the portage tree already in /usr/portage/licenses - why dup that
13 > again?
14
15 Plus the copies in /usr/share/doc.
16
17 > We already have an existing LICENSE keywording in the ebuilds,
18 > why not just focus on patching portage to allow a make.conf variable
19 > for allowed licenses and block based on that?
20
21 Sounds good enough to me. Perhaps two variables; ALLOW_LICENSES and
22 DENY_LICENSES (with wildcard support).
25 Kevin F. Quinn