From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:40:24
1 On 08/08/13 12:39, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 7 August 2013 20:45, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Greetings,
4 >>
5 >> Gnome Herd decided to target stablilization of 3.8 [1] which requires
6 >> systemd.
7 >>
8 >> What are the reasons to stable 3.8 and not 3.6, a version w/o this
9 >> restriction, enabling all non systemd users to profit from this
10 >> eye-candy as well.
11 >>
12 >> I raise the freedom of choice card here. And deliberately choosing an
13 >> uncooperative version doesn't shine a good light.
14 >
15 > People are free to use a saner desktop environment...
18 /me points to XFCE that will *not* be removing ConsoleKit support, or
19 require systemd
20 (however I'm going to append systemd support to 4.10, but the patches
21 currently available are sub-par and none in upstream git yet)
22
23 does anyone know if Cinnamon, MATE, or whatever GNOME forks there are
24 will keep ConsoleKit support or not?
25 i'm not volunteering but I never really got why our GNOME maintainers
26 insisted on staying with it instead of going with the distribution after
27 it was clear logind is a dead end on non-systemd systemd
28
29 - Samuli