From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 07:24:12
1 On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 05:30:24 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:05:19 +0100
4 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > You appear to be assuming that those pushing the --as-needed
6 > > solution have it finished. This is far from the case. There's still
7 > > a lot of work that would need to be done, and that work will have
8 > > to be carried on by every developer indefinitely as new versions of
9 > > packages come out. It's a case of "the wrong thing requires quite a
10 > > lot more work before it's ready, and once it's ready everyone will
11 > > have to carry on working on it forever".
12 >
13 > Why do you care? Everybody intimately involved in Exherbo and
14 > caring about it tells me you forked.
15
16 I use Gentoo, as you well know from every other time the "anyone who
17 ever touches any other distribution is a traitor and should go away
18 and never do anything with Gentoo again" line has been tried.
19
20 I care because it's a huge waste of everyone's time that's all happened
21 because one developer refused to admit that he was in effect advocating
22 the use of a flag in the same category as -ffast-math, even when shown
23 how it would break correct code.
24
25 > If you didn't and are still leeching off our ebuild tree, then please
26 > file --as-needed bugs like everyone else, or shut up.
27
28 Exherbo doesn't and never has used Gentoo ebuilds. Again, as you know
29 fine well.
32 Ciaran McCreesh