From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 07:24:12
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 05:30:24 +0200
Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:05:19 +0100 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote: > > You appear to be assuming that those pushing the --as-needed > > solution have it finished. This is far from the case. There's still > > a lot of work that would need to be done, and that work will have > > to be carried on by every developer indefinitely as new versions of > > packages come out. It's a case of "the wrong thing requires quite a > > lot more work before it's ready, and once it's ready everyone will > > have to carry on working on it forever". > > Why do you care? Everybody intimately involved in Exherbo and > caring about it tells me you forked.
I use Gentoo, as you well know from every other time the "anyone who ever touches any other distribution is a traitor and should go away and never do anything with Gentoo again" line has been tried. I care because it's a huge waste of everyone's time that's all happened because one developer refused to admit that he was in effect advocating the use of a flag in the same category as -ffast-math, even when shown how it would break correct code.
> If you didn't and are still leeching off our ebuild tree, then please > file --as-needed bugs like everyone else, or shut up.
Exherbo doesn't and never has used Gentoo ebuilds. Again, as you know fine well. -- Ciaran McCreesh