From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual -- virtual/go to fix go build time dependencies
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 21:34:59
1 On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 13:06:45 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 03/02/2017 11:24 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
5 > > On 03/02/2017 02:05 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
6 > >>>
7 > >>> This is why we can't have nice things.
8 > >>
9 > >> For those that are interested, I'm planning to to make --with-bdeps
10 > >> automatically enabled when possible:
11 > >>
14 > > I agree with this ^ but I don't think portage should rebuild for
15 > > DEPEND at all. It creates one more dangerous "it works in portage!"
16 > > situation that will plague users of other package managers.
17 > >
18 > > (I'm not saying it couldn't be useful, but it should go in the next
19 > > EAPI if we're gonna do it.)
20 >
21 > PMS doesn't specify when rebuilds are supposed to be triggered. You
22 > can consider the rebuilds as a means to satisfy the dependencies.
23 > Saying that the package manager should not make an effort to satisfy
24 > dependencies would be silly.
27 And then have a nice ref. implementation for next EAPI.
30 Having barely tested (*) features set in stone at each EAPI bump is even
31 more dangerous than the "it works in portage!" situations IMHO.
34 (*) I'm not saying features are not tested, but those that have
35 been thrown at users for years are much more mature than the
36 brand new ones in comparison.