From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New lists and their usage
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 02:36:30
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Jan Kundrát wrote:
5 > Ryan Hill wrote:
6 >> zombieswift/new devs -project
7 >> council/trustee nominations -project
8 >
9 > Then it's worth cross-posting -core or -dev-announce or similar. I
10 > thought that goal of -project was to keep devs away from poisonous
11 > content without impairing their Gentoo-awareness.
14 I thought the goal was more to separate technical and non-technical
15 content - as most of the heavy-reply emails on -dev were non-technical
16 in nature. The politics/etc could go on -project.
17
18 As somebody else pointed out in a reply to one of my emails (which I
19 totally agree with) - flames (aka poisonous content) aren't welcome
20 anywhere.
21
22 If anything of any importance at all gets discussed on -dev, then all
23 the non-technical stuff will end up on -dev as well and nothing will be
24 accomplished by having the new list. Developers who are interested in
25 participating in politics (devrel, CoC debates, user-relation
26 discussions, etc) should subscribe to -project.
27
28 One thing I want to caution is a potentially-dangerous mindset that a
29 flame is any post that one personally disagrees with - or which a
30 majority of developers disagree with. Flames are more about attitude
31 and intent - not so much about viewpoint. As an example I tended to
32 disagree with the point you were raising, but I'd hope we could agree
33 that I'm attempting to be constructive in my reply and that I'm trying
34 to focus on what is good for Gentoo and not my personal agenda. If I
35 had just replied with a one-liner of some sort it would be less
36 constructive. Even so, this is inherently a political discussion and
37 those devs on this list who would prefer to just work on their herds and
38 not worry about moderation/ CoC/ religious positions on package
39 managers/ etc. would probably prefer that it took place on -project -
40 not because the debate isn't important, but simply because it isn't what
41 they're interested in reading about.
42
43 I've participated in moderated lists which weren't perceived as
44 one-sided or as creating a division between valued and unvalued posters.
45 Often a majority of posts are moderated, and the only thing the
46 moderator does is determine whether the post adds value to the
47 conversation. One-liners get rejected regardless of who sends them -
48 and genuine arguments get accepted regardless of where they line up
49 against the party view. Such lists benefit from a diversity of opinions
50 and don't get as bogged-down in groupthink. They also tend to be more
51 inviting to outsiders.
52
53 Flames really shouldn't be welcome on any list. I know there are
54 posters on this list that drive most of the devs crazy - and it is easy
55 for me to just say not to fight fire with fire. I know that when devs
56 do reply with one-liners nobody thinks less of them for it as a result
57 (I am not certain I'd act any differently if I were in their shoes).
58 However, that isn't good for the project - it tends to create a strong
59 core team that circles the wagons against outside dissent - which is
60 good when the dissent is just an annoying party of raiders, but it can
61 lead to less flexibility and an unwillingness to tolerate dissent of any
62 kind. I'm sure the XFree86 team is still a tight-knit group that is
63 happy with the licensing decision they made some time ago, even though
64 as a result they're almost entirely irrelevant to the FOSS world now.
65
66 I think the -dev / -project division is good, and I think it will make a
67 lot of devs happy - if for no other reason than they don't need to read
68 discussions like this one... :) However, if anybody thinks that it
69 will succeed in getting rid of certain unpopular voices on this list I
70 think they will be disappointed - they will go where the discussion is.
71 At best the division will let people choose what discussion they
72 participate in - not who participates in those discussions. Maybe we
73 can just be optimistic that at some point we'll learn how to disagree
74 maturely...

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature