From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Live ebuilds in the main tree (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] ...)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 21:58:31
1 Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2017, 14:39:55 CET schrieb Francesco Riosa:
2
3 > BTW that help a lot we, users, that want to test that package in the limbo
4 > time upstream has done some changes and the ebuild as not caught up.
5 > Othrewise just avoid the -9999 in tree, a lot of developer have said they
6 > are evil in the past (right?)
7
8 Actually I'm not so convinced that -9999 live ebuilds in the tree are "evil"
9 anymore (assuming they have no keywords).
10
11 Why?
12
13 Compare the git history of, say, app-office/libreoffice (with the live ebuilds in
14 the main tree), with kde-apps/kmail (with the live ebuilds separately in the
15 kde overlay).
16
17 For LibreOffice one can easily follow not just the version bumps but also the
18 changes to the live ebuilds, which often document why something was changed
19 (bug number, upstream modification).
20
21 For KMail the main tree mainly has "Added version" and "Removed version"
22 commits, but if and why the ebuilds changed between versions is essentially
23 documented in the kde overlay.
27 Andreas K. Hüttel
28 dilfridge@g.o
29 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)