From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Open Build Service
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 10:04:27
1 Hi,
2
3 another two cents:
4
5 On 11/10/2017 12:03 AM, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
6 > Hi,
7 >
8 > I send this email to know the devs opinion about Gentoo integration with
9 > Open Build Service[1].
10 >
11 > When creating specialized images and using an automated process for
12 > testing before deployment, I think that Open Build Service would be
13 > useful. It already support all major binary based distros and I think
14 > that Gentoo could be in there also.
15
16 Well, Gentoo is a Meta Distribution, and it's binary instantiation usually
17 does emerge on the users machine(s). So users actually do have their private
18 binary distribution - either with or without caching the binary packages.
19 (In my opinion, a binary distribution is little more than a cache for binary
20 packages, to avoid the need for compilation resources on the target machine.)
21
22 Of course there is chance that users do have identical profile setups (USE flags,
23 optimization flags, etc.), which is where OBS (or similar) indeed feels useful.
24
25 Rather than sharing binary packages, an idea is to share Gentoo user's profile
26 setups - with the cache for binary packages to be optional (yet powered by some
27 open build service). Note that some USE flags disallow binary packaging at all.
28
29 Wouldn't we gain something like a "Social Linux Distribution Network" then?
30
31 /haubi/