From: Philip Busch <broesel@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Sparc (some notes)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:38:39
1 Hi,
2 if this is not the correct email to address sparc related problems, please forward it to whereever this stuff was supposed to be sent ;)
3
4 (1) serious error in sparc install howto
5 the howto recommends using a whole disk as one partition.
6 some PROMs can't boot from disks >2gig, and SILOs in general won't boot anything beyond the 1gig mark.
7 A common workaround is using a small partition for /boot ;)
8
9 (2) /etc/rc.conf states that achim from germany likes the de-latin1-nodeadkeys keymap.
10 I'm Philip from Germany and I want to add that de-latin1-nodeadkeys will fuck up the key layout so hard you won't even manage to login. Use "sunt5-de-latin1" for type5 keyboards (sunt4 for type4 and so on..) ;)
11
12 (3) Code Listing 17
13 ..of the Sparc Install HOWTO enables devfs to be compiled, however it is not mentioned in the text.. I had to recompile the kernel on a 50MHz sparc ;)
14
15 (4) The HOWTO doesn't cover several basic steps as to get a network link up and transmitting, doing basic gentoo-style configuration and the like.. the maintainer might copy'n'paste the config stuff from the existing (and btw VERY well written) install howto for x86 machines
18 I have tried SuSE, Slackware and Splack (continued Slackware/Sparc port), SuSE sux, Slackware/Sparc is no longer supported and Splack won't even compile a kernel..
19 I am VERY happy with Gentoo running on my Sparc as a Gateway; the install took about 30 minutes (starting with a stage3 tarball) on a SparcClassic, and stage3 contains nearly everything i'd ever need to run a gateway..
20 after 30 minutes with suse i was just _starting_ selecting packets.. thank you very much for such an easy and so far pretty stable linux/sparc system :o)
21
22 greets
23 Philip Busch
24 broesel@×××××××××××××.de