From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New version constraints: variant one
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 18:49:38
1 On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 1:41 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 01:21:34 +0800
3 > konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Well that's just it: ease of use and simplicity vs. portability with
6 >> possible new parameter types in the future; your pick. I'll
7 >> personally go for the former this time.
8 >>
9 >> Also, what kind of added type of parameters would you expect that
10 >> would be conflicting with USE flags, or other operators? Wouldn't
11 >> adding another operator be enough, and not an identifying key?
12 >>
13 >> I also find that the current features are already mature enough; we're
14 >> just enhancing it to have better control. I don't expect anything big
15 >> to be added further.
16 >
17 > Its just frustrating for me, because its not the first time I've had this
18 > conversation.
19 >
20 > I have some vague memory of the last time we changed dependency syntax,
21 > and I said then something along the lines of "hey, why not get this right so
22 > we don't have to have this again later"
23 >
24 > And here we are, bike shedding, debating new syntax classes without forsight.
25
26 I would love to prove this with a proof-of-concept, but I don't have
27 the motivation yet. I also did it once, it wasn't helpful.
28
29 >> would be conflicting with USE flags, or other operators? Wouldn't
30 >> adding another operator be enough, and not an identifying key?
31 >
32 > The difference between an "operator" and an "identifier" is one of the two
33 > hails from a limited set of punctuation marks, and sometimes the order is
34 > important.
35 >
36 > For example: 5 + 6 and add( 5, 6 ), are functionally equivalent, however,
37 > the former hailed from a narrow supply of characters which people saw fit
38 > to use for everything, and now you have fun problems in JavaScript where
39 > "+" does more than one thing depending on conditions.
40 >
41 > Punctuation is powerful, but its a limited resource that serves itself
42 > best when used sparingly.
43
44 I agree with that, but we have to consider balancing it a bit sometimes.
47 konsolebox