From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tightly-coupled core distro [was: Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 16:55:44
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 06:34 +0200, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
4 > I think expressing my own opinion about Lennart-made software is my
5 > right, after all.
6
7 I would express my opinion about Fabio made software, but I've never
8 heard of any.
9
10 > Firstly, it's almost impossible nowadays to avoid including avahi,
11 > systemd and pulseaudio into a desktop distro so, there is no real
12 > choice. This issue became a sensible matter for those users who for
13 > instance, wanted to have a silly mp3 player working without going
14 > through the PA nonsense, really missing the old
15 > ALSA-oh-it-was-always-working days.
16
17 Maybe the reason every sensible distribution uses Avahi, Pulseaudio, etc
18 is because they are better than other solutions out there?
19 Do you think is a fast conspiracy to make your life suck? I believe
20 engineers in every distribution are looking at what's available and
21 picking what they think is the best solution, and it turns out Lennart
22 is pretty damn good at making useful software.
23
24 Was alsa always working? I remember spending hours trying to figure out
25 the right control in alsamixer and fighting with alsa's arcane
26 configuration languages (it has 3 different ones). And how do you deal
27 with modern technologies like Bluetooth audio without Pulseaudio
28 exactly?
29
30 > Of course, I am not only bringing my personal opinion here, but the
31 > one of the majority of users I've been talking with.
32
33 I think you only hear from users who like to complain, others are just
34 happy that everything works for them thanks to Pulseaudio, systemd, etc.
35 If you think that Lennart does not solve problems, maybe it's because
36 you don't even understand what the problems were? For example, I
37 encourage you to read about how the dynamic latency in PA allows for
38 lower power usage or how modern audio hardware is designed to use a
39 userspace sound server, etc.
42 Olivier CrĂȘte
43 tester@g.o
44 Gentoo Developer