From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Pre-GLEP for review: mix-in profiles
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:24:00
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 I've written a short proposal that aims to provide basic infrastructure
4 for defining mix-in profiles in Gentoo. I've tried to keep it simple,
5 and backwards compatible. The main goal is to be able to start defining
6 some mix-ins without having to reinvent the whole profile tree.
7
8 Most important points:
9
10 1. Mix-ins are applied on top of base profile (which works the same as
11 before),
12
13 2. Mix-ins are supported via 'eselect profile'
14 replacing /etc/portage/make.profile symlink with a directory, without
15 need for Portage patching (this is how Funtoo does it),
16
17 3. Most important mix-ins are used to construct base profiles which
18 provides both backwards compatibility and proper targets for repoman
19 (to avoid having to check all possible mix-in combinations).
20
21 Complete text:
22
23 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Mix-ins