From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improving the stabilisation process - part 1
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 09:27:26
1 On 25/11/16 17:51, Jason Zaman wrote:
2 >> Automation
3 >> ==========
4 >>
5 >> It's easy to forget to check that all the required dependencies are in
6 >> stable before filing a stabilisation test, but this wastes the actioning
7 >> developer's time. I have prepared a bot that repoman checks the list of
8 >> atoms and flags the bug appropriately. This allows easy filtering out of
9 >> broken requests.
10 >
11 > This part would need to take into account DEPENDS ON in the bug too.
12 > When I file my xfce lists I dep on the gnome stable bug since I need
13 > the gtk stuff and if that isnt taken into account, repoman would just
14 > die.
15
16 The bot will either try its best to take into account bug dependencies,
17 or otherwise just give up and skip such a bug.
18
19 > I just realized there is another rare issue that we may have to take
20 > into account. Some sets of packages *must* be stablized in lockstep. For
21 > regular sets of packages like eg xfce if you leave off a bunch of the
22 > extras its no big deal.
23 > Eg for SELinux, the policy packages must all be stabilized all at
24 > once because they depend on each other (I think perl is like this too?).
25 >
26 > We would need a way for maintainers to ask for testing without actually
27 > committing. The maintainer can wait till everything is done and commit
28 > everything at once himself. Some flag to make the tatt script skip the
29 > step would be enough I think.
30
31 Do you have a bug number handy so I can double check how the process
32 normally looks?