From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:21:13
1 On 12/19/2012 02:01 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:56:44 +0100
3 > Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Just mv /usr/portage /var/portage ? FFS no. Among other things, as
6 >> many said before, we should really take distfiles out of the tree
7 >> itself, and packages the same. And I don't want /var/packages
8 >> or /var/distfiles at all.
9 >
10 > If we are going to move distfiles out of the tree into, what are the
11 > odds of getting /some/path/portage/local to move somewhere else too?
12
13 What program uses this "local" directory? It's not used directly by
14 portage itself, though portage has an exclude for it in the default
15 PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS setting (in /usr/share/portage/config/make.globals).
16
17 > That one has irked me for ages, its the one thing left on my systems
18 > that stops the local tree dir being an exact replica of the upstream
19 > master.
20
21 For portage's defaults, I won't settle for anything less than having
22 them all refer to separate directories which are *not* nested within one
23 other. These are the current default settings which violate my requirements:
24
25 PORTDIR=/usr/portage
26 DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
27 PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages