From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Making backwards-incompatible tree changes | a solution for GLEP 55's problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 17:49:21
1 On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sep 20, 2011 1:05 PM, "Patrick Lauer" <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Good idea, but won't work retroactively out of the box. So you'd need a
4 >> helper script to figure out your current state (using portage version and
5 >> tree snapshot maybe), then prepare the environment to upgrade
6 >> (and how do you handle the "common" case of python 2.5 only which doesn't
7 >> allow newest portage anyway?)
10 > Does it really need to be automated?  Why not just have a big howto that we
11 > append to whenever we break @system upgrades?  The top would have a table
12 > telling you where to start based on portage version or whatever.
13 >
14 > The howto would contain links to portage and bindist snapshots (just what
15 > you need to upgrade - maybe binary pkgs, maybe not).  Then it would have a
16 > list of steps to follow.
17 >
18 > If you are three years out of date it would be a long journey, but it should
19 > work. I don't think we need to make it a trivial upgrade, just a workable
20 > one.
21
22 Why should we put effort into supporting people running a system based
23 off of a three year old tree?
26 > And as far as extracting stage3s go - I've done it before in a pinch, but I
27 > usually pick and choose individual files to keep it under control...
28 >
29 > Rich