From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tommy@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:10:35
1 On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:23:39 +0200
2 Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Michał Górny schrieb:
5 > > Hello, all.
6 > >
7 > > Since nowadays udev is bundled within systemd, we start having two
8 > > libudev providers: >=sys-apps/systemd-185 and sys-fs/udev. Making
9 > > the long story short, I would like to introduce a virtual for
10 > > libudev which would pull in either of those two.
11 > >
12 > > There are three USE flags used in conditionals when depending on
13 > > udev:
14 > > - gudev - for glib wrapper on udev,
15 > > - hwdb - to pull in hwids,
16 > > - static-libs.
17 > >
18 > > The former two were previously provided by 'extras' USE flag,
19 > > and the third was unconditional.
20 > >
21 > > I'm attaching an example virtual/libudev which does the job. Sadly,
22 > > because of the 'extras' compatibility it's a big ugly conditional.
23 > >
24 > > An alternative would be to provide separate virtual/libudev
25 > > and virtual/libgudev; and maybe changing ebuilds not to depend on
26 > > [hwids] but rather pull in sys-apps/hwids directly (since that's
27 > > what the flag does).
28 > >
29 > > What are you thoughts?
30 >
31 > As discussed on IRC, there is still no consensus for installing the
32 > udev files with systemd, which is the beginning for the block and the
33 > virtual. So we should first sort that point out, before we even start
34 > to think about an ebuild for an udev virtual.
35
36 Do you have a technical or policy reason prohibiting me from maintaining
37 a systemd ebuild following the upstream policies?
38
39 > So for now: A clear no, i am against adding a virtual/libudev ebuild.
40
41 Please give the rationale.
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny