From: Denys Duchier <duchier@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] proposal for emerge-extensibility of hotplug
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:47:05
This is a proposal that I just submitted to gentoo's bugzilla:

Currently, hotplug is not easily extensible.  For example, I am
working on an ebuild for an ADSL modem that needs to extend
/etc/hotplug/usb.usermap.  My proposal is as follows:

1. create /etc/hotplug.d where individual applications can add files,
e.g. application foo might add /etc/hotplug.d/foo.usb.usermap

2. add the utility hotplug-update which concatenates e.g. all files
/etc/hotplug.d/*.usb.usermap to create /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap

In this fashion, emerging drivers for hotpluggable devices would
become a lot simpler.  removing them too, of course.

I am quite willing to implement this proposal, if it is agreeable.
Any opinions (or advice)?

Cheers,

--
Dr. Denys Duchier