From: Denys Duchier <duchier@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] proposal for emerge-extensibility of hotplug
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:47:05
1 This is a proposal that I just submitted to gentoo's bugzilla:
2
3 Currently, hotplug is not easily extensible. For example, I am
4 working on an ebuild for an ADSL modem that needs to extend
5 /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap. My proposal is as follows:
6
7 1. create /etc/hotplug.d where individual applications can add files,
8 e.g. application foo might add /etc/hotplug.d/foo.usb.usermap
9
10 2. add the utility hotplug-update which concatenates e.g. all files
11 /etc/hotplug.d/*.usb.usermap to create /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap
12
13 In this fashion, emerging drivers for hotpluggable devices would
14 become a lot simpler. removing them too, of course.
15
16 I am quite willing to implement this proposal, if it is agreeable.
17 Any opinions (or advice)?
18
19 Cheers,
22 Dr. Denys Duchier