From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] toolchain-funcs.eclass / toolchain-glibc.eclass - gcc-6 bugfixes and updates
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 21:38:33
1 On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 14:25:02 +0100
2 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > .. That was quick ...
5 >
6 > I swore there was something in the devmanual about a nice long period of
7 > bikeshedding before changes to eclasses were approved ..
8
9 The eclass writing and changes guide is described in devmanual and available
10 at https://devmanual.gentoo.org/eclass-writing/
11
12 Namely "Adding and Updating Eclasses" section includes rationale why one
13 should consider that. TL;DR: The goal is to serve both as an announcement
14 and as a chance to spot errors before affecting everyone.
15
16 Valuable feedback (ideally actionable or supportive) feedback is important
17 to community and individuals as it allows us all to make a step in the right
18 direction.
19
20 I view existence of bikeshedding centithreads (with zero valuable feedback)
21 as a negative side of Gentoo community as it's a time sink.
22 I suggest not to start and not to contribute to such threads.
23
24 Unfortunately even rare snarky comments don't work all that well in mailing lists.
25
26 Thanks for your patience and understanding :)
30 Sergei