From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ebuild function to show package changelog
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:56:25
On Sex, 2010-03-12 at 17:59 +0100, Matti Bickel wrote:
> Angelo Arrifano wrote: > > What do you people think on a new pkg_changelog function that would > > instruct the ebuild how to retrieve this kind of information from the > > package? > > No, please don't. I'm okay with it if your mean "at the end of > emerge -u <atom>", but wouldn't it be pointless to see what changed > *after* you just installed the thing?
Not pointless. If people don't read package changelogs/releasenotes, then it is highly probable they miss new features in the packages.
> > The reason i'm against it is the complexity involved. You need to pull > down the source (up to hunderts of megabytes for openoffice), run > src_unpack and eventually src_configure phases. Then you need to know > where to look and what to show.
A ChangeLog in the root of the source dir. is almost mandatory in autotools distributions. Despite the existence of a somewhat standard format for ChangeLogs, it is not enforced leaving the need to parse all the crap they through at us.
> > But i agree it's cool to know what i will gain from my daily emerge run. > > As an alternative, let the ebuild provide a variable that points to > upstreams online Changelog or something, so you as a human can go parse > it yourself. But then you could also just take the HOMEPAGE variable > that's already there. >
As Jeremy pointed out: "There is an optional <changelog> tag in metadata.xml." That really looks like a better solution and it is something I might start putting on the packages I maintain. -- Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX Gentoo Embedded/OMAP850 Developer Linwizard Developer http://www.gentoo.org/~miknix http://miknix.homelinux.com