From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ebuild function to show package changelog
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:56:25
1 On Sex, 2010-03-12 at 17:59 +0100, Matti Bickel wrote:
2 > Angelo Arrifano wrote:
3 > > What do you people think on a new pkg_changelog function that would
4 > > instruct the ebuild how to retrieve this kind of information from the
5 > > package?
6 >
7 > No, please don't. I'm okay with it if your mean "at the end of
8 > emerge -u <atom>", but wouldn't it be pointless to see what changed
9 > *after* you just installed the thing?
10
11 Not pointless. If people don't read package changelogs/releasenotes,
12 then it is highly probable they miss new features in the packages.
13 >
14 > The reason i'm against it is the complexity involved. You need to pull
15 > down the source (up to hunderts of megabytes for openoffice), run
16 > src_unpack and eventually src_configure phases. Then you need to know
17 > where to look and what to show.
18
19 A ChangeLog in the root of the source dir. is almost mandatory in autotools
20 distributions. Despite the existence of a somewhat standard format for ChangeLogs,
21 it is not enforced leaving the need to parse all the crap they through at us.
22 >
23 > But i agree it's cool to know what i will gain from my daily emerge run.
24 >
25 > As an alternative, let the ebuild provide a variable that points to
26 > upstreams online Changelog or something, so you as a human can go parse
27 > it yourself. But then you could also just take the HOMEPAGE variable
28 > that's already there.
31 As Jeremy pointed out:
32 "There is an optional <changelog> tag in metadata.xml."
33
34 That really looks like a better solution and it is something I might
35 start putting on the packages I maintain.
38 Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
39 Gentoo Embedded/OMAP850 Developer
40 Linwizard Developer
41 http://www.gentoo.org/~miknix