From: Brian Dwornick <bdwor@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installer For Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:10:31
1 There are two very different reasons that I can see for making an installer.
2 One is to make it easier to install gentoo for people that are not
3 comfortable with linux. This in my opinion would be a bad move as gentoo
4 isn't aimed to be the first linux distribution someone uses. The seconds
5 reason would be to make it easier to install in a corporate enviroment
6 (server farms, multiple offices, etc.) With this in mind, I believe an
7 "installer" should be implemented as a text based script, not a pretty GUI.
8 It should read a config file made by whoever is doing the install that has
9 many default configs in it and maybe prompt for the uses of the machine.
10 IE:
11
12 The following configs have been detected please choose one:
13 [0] Prompt for config
14 [1] Desktop (KDE)
15 [2] Laptop (KDE)
16 [3] Email/Web/DNS Server (No X)
17 [4] Rendering Farm
18 ? 2
19
20 What stage would you like to start from?
21 [1]
22 [2]
23 [3]
24 ...
25 At this point the installer could make choices that would produce the
26 optimal system but without the system admin having to sit and type the same
27 things over and over. The make.conf could be generated by using /proc and
28 the settings from the loaded config.
29
30 Basically, distributions like Redhat make many decisions for you. I would
31 hate to see an installer that took choices from the users hands, as, gentoo
32 seems to be about choice.
33
34 My two cents,
35 Brian
36
37 ----- Original Message -----
38 From: "Stephen Clowater" <steve@×××××××××××××××××.org>
39 To: <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
40 Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 11:02 AM
41 Subject: [gentoo-dev] Installer For Gentoo
42
43 *snip*
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list