From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Soliciting Feedback: Gentoo Copyright Assignments / Licensing
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 03:29:32
1 On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 06:14:23PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > Just ask anyone who has had to get their company to sign the FSF
5 >> > copyright assignment paperwork, for just how hard that was, and how long
6 >> > it took.
7 >> It took my university, who had no rational reason to own any of my
8 >> work, six months to sign the FSF's paperwork for a really simple bug
9 >> fix. By the time they decided they didn't care about owning my work,
10 >> it was April and I was graduating in May. They seriously asked me
11 >> whether I would just wait to submit the work until after I graduated
12 >> since it would be so much easier for them.
13 > What was your university's claim to ownership of the bugfix?
14
15 That as a requirement for entrance into grad school I signed paperwork
16 that allows them to claim ownership over things I do under some set of
17 conditions.
18
19 As it were,
20 - I wasn't a researcher,
21 - I wasn't paid by the University,
22 - I didn't do the work for the University
23 - I didn't do the work with anyone from the University,
24 - I didn't do the work with on University time, and
25 - I didn't do the work with any University property.
26
27 They basically wanted to confirm this (I guess). The first three they
28 could actually confirm, and the last three they'd just have to take my
29 word.
30
31 > If they had a copyright claim because you worked on using school
32 > systems, during paid time, then it shouldn't have made any difference
33 > you were graduating: they would still own the code after you graduated.
34 > Similarly for any all-encompassing clauses like those found in some US
35 > employment contracts.
36 >
37 > So, if were able to submit it on your own after graduating, I don't see
38 > why you couldn't have done that prior to graduating.
39
40 Of course. This was part of why the process was so ridiculous.
41
42 The whole system for releasing potentially University-owned
43 intellectual property is designed for the case that a University
44 researcher wants the University to disclaim ownership of something
45 that they did. It's massive overkill for a free software hobbyist who
46 wants to submit a 20-line bug fix to gcc.