From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Git Commit Procedures
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:03:29
Are the procedures for using git with anything but an overlay on gentoo
documented anywhere?

I'm trying to make a correction to the devmanual (assuming this is
supposed to be general access) for bug 293629.  However, I can't seem to
find where to clone the repository from.

If this isn't supposed to be edited by devs at large, then somebody can
feel free to close that bug.  It had been open for ages so I figured I
might just see if I could take care of it.

In general I think that before we can really consider any kind of
migration to git we need to actually publish at least a little
documentation around how it is to be used.  Sure, devs can read the
various tutorials online, but what will Gentoo's policy be on putting
branches in the official repository, and where should sources be checked
out from, and what if anything do devs need to do besides a git push so
that everybody doesn't get upset, etc.

It need not be 40 pages of documentation, but for something we're
already using in an official capacity there should probably be at least
a little documentation.  It exists for the overlays, although barely
(just a bunch of commands without much explanation, and they are
commands that would not be covered in any normal git tutorial).

Rich