From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 05:49:07
120614 Greg KH wrote:
> So, anyone been thinking about this? I have, and it's not pretty. > Should I worry about this and how it affects Gentoo > or not worry about Gentoo right now and just focus on the other issues? > Minor details like, "do we have a 'company' that can pay Microsoft > to sign our bootloader?" is one aspect from the non-technical side. > I did a lot of UEFI secure boot work in the past at SUSE > and should be soon a member of the UEFI "organization" > through my work at the Linux Foundation, so I do have a basic grasp > of the issues involved and have a chance to get changes made, > if needed and possible, to the spec itself.
Does this affect those of us who build our own machines ? Is there likely to be any Gentoo user who is reluctant to change the default BIOS setting ? How can UEFI be required for Arm without running into anti-trust ? How far is this basically a problem for those in the USA, the rest of us having a different attitude to security issues ? -- ========================,,============================================ SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca