From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unified DEPENDENCIES concept
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 15:50:11
1 I actually do like the concept but I'm not sure we can reach consensus
2 about '*DEPEND vs DEPENDENCIES'; a possibility to get people used to it
3 could be to have two parallel EAPIs, like 6 and 6-dependencies, where
4 the former will keep the old style and the latter use DEPENDENCIES.
5
6 After some time has passed, it could be decided to kill the less useful
7 one, say in EAPI 8, and get only one 'latest' EAPI again. This decision
8 doesn't need to be left only to the council, but since it affects
9 everyone it could be a vote from all the dev community.
10
11 There is also the possibility that a consensus will never be reached
12 and that the two styles will have to live forever, but after all, the
13 EAPI concept is made for this.
14
15 Given this possibility, a debate 'I perfer *DEPEND' vs 'DEPENDENCIES are
16 more flexible' doesn't make much sense now. What should be discussed is
17 the concept itself.
18
19 For example, what is the HDEPEND equivalent for DEPENDENCIES ? exherbo
20 documentation doesn't seem to mention an equivalent label.
21
22 Alexis.