From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:14:41
1 On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 05:46:28PM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 06/27/2010 03:23 PM, Harald van Dijk wrote:
3 > > The compiler is not totally free to ignore the register keyword.
4 > > Both the C and the C++ standards require that the compiler complain
5 > > when taking the address of a register variable. Other compilers will
6 > > issue a hard error for it. Fixing the code to not declare the
7 > > variable as register would be the correct thing to do.
8 >
9 > No, it would not be the correct thing to do, because of the following.
10 > (This is part of a discussion between me and someone quite smarter than
11 > me, who explained the issue in detail.)
12 >
13 > [snip]
14
15 That explanation seems to be written by someone who does not know that
16 taking the address of a register variable is simply not allowed.
17
18 > OK, long read, but the the conclusion is that "fixing the code to not
19 > declare the variable as register would be the correct thing to do" it
20 > *not* the correct thing to do. The correct thing to do is to ignore the
21 > warning, which is not possible if warnings are turned into errors.
22
23 And which is not possible if the warning is a hard error in the first place.
24
25 > You also mentioned that "other compilers will issue a hard error for
26 > it." That sounds rather strange, and I wonder which compilers that
27 > might be; someone should file a bug report against them ;)
28
29 Well, let's start with gcc; that's quite an important one for Gentoo...