From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, guru@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [GURU] Bug mail now directed to guru-bugs@g.o
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 08:12:19
1 Hello,
2
3 TL;DR: all new bugs related to packages in GURU should be assigned/CC-ed
4 to guru-bugs@g.o rather than guru@g.o. The new alias is entirely opt-
5 in, and people interested in bug mail should watch it via Bugzilla's
6 'email preferences'.
9 The recent tinderboxing effort against GURU packages has caused tons of
10 mail to be delivered to GURU contributor's mailboxes. I am sorry about
11 that, I do realize that you never expected that signing up for GURU
12 would result in getting hundreds of mails every day. Let's be honest --
13 when I set up the mail aliases for GURU, I wasn't sure the project would
14 catch, not to mention someone suddenly starting to file such a large
15 number of bugs without any heads up.
16
17 Resolving this is a non-trivial problem. While in Gentoo the amount of
18 bug spam is reduced by assigning them directly to package maintainers,
19 GURU is generally a 'free for all' project. While some of the
20 contributors are listing themselves as maintainers of individual
21 packages, we generally assume anyone can fix anything and FWICS there
22 are a few people who actually actively work on resolving bugs everywhere
23 (thank you!).
24
25 For this reason, I've decided to create a new opt-in mail alias, guru-
26 bugs@.g.o. All new package bugs should either be assigned to this
27 alias, or CC-ed to it (if assigning to actual maintainers). The previous
28 aliases should only be used for the rare need of actually reaching all
29 people in the project.
30
31 I've 'reassigned' all existing bugs to the new alias to cease
32 the further bug spam. Actually, I've just changed the email address of
33 the old Bugzilla account to avoid additional mails about reassignment.
34
35 If you're interested in following the bug mail for GURU, please use
36 the watching feature found in Bugzilla's 'Email Preferences'.
37
38 Thank you for your work on GURU!
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny