From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: xmw@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 13:36:15
1 On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:47:18 +0200
2 Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/22/2013 02:26 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
5 > > I said that it is a combination not well tested so we do not
6 > > encourage this. Users are free to do whatever they want.
7 > Actually every other post is about keywording special versions or
8 > running --autounmask-write. I'm saying that "we do not encourage this"
9 > might not be the reality on forums/blogs/channels.
10
11 This might be a possible language barrier; please note that "we do not
12 encourage this" can be interpreted as "we encourage that you do not do
13 this" but also as "we have no encouragement for this", whether it
14 implies that we do or do not advice a choice depends on the context.
15
16 Regardless, lots of people encourage others to not mix their system or
17 use --autounmask-write in a careless way; in other words, they encourage
18 them to only use it if they must and to be careful in how they do this.
19
20 That's at least the impression that I get from our support places; in
21 my personal opinion, I think that is the way it should be used.
22
23 The goal should be for the file to be a sane solution for the user that
24 needs it; it shouldn't become a file that is filled with all kinds of
25 suggestions Portage can throw at you, some just aren't sane to do.
26
27 Every other post shouldn't be the goal, it should be the exception...
30 With kind regards,
31
32 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
33 Gentoo Developer
34
35 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
36 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
37 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D