From: Leo Laursen <ll_news@××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for /usr/share/doc hierarchy
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 06:09:02
This was sent to gentoo-user, but I was informed that this list is more
apropriate

Hi. I am rather new to gentoo, so I don't know if this has been
discussed before.

On debian and now gentoo, one little irritating issue is the large
number of files in /usr/share/doc. On gentoo there is a very natural
solution by mirroring the portage tree in the doc directory.

Eg. /usr/share/doc/mutt-1.5.6 would be
    /usr/share/doc/net-mail/mutt/mutt-1.5.6

It should be quite easy to implement (I think).

For those with USE=doc, packages could register html-documentation in
/usr/share/doc/html/<package> (perhaps symlink)
I would like very much to have a http://localhost/doc with persistant
filenames across package upgrade.

Leo