From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI) [2]
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:08:01
1 Jan Kundrát a écrit :
2 > Roy Marples wrote:
3 >> I understand that metadata in a file name is pure and simple hackery
4 >> that has no place here and the GLEP is a flimsy attempt to justify it.
5 >
6 > Do you count "version" as metadata?
7
8 I'll bite :)
9
10 Version numbers aren't metadata because they uniquely identify the
11 ebuild/package.
12
13 EAPI on the other hand brings no such information to identify the
14 package. Furthermore, the GLEP proposes that no 2 ebuilds with the exact
15 same version may exist regardless of different EAPIs.
16
17 In the end, ${CATEGORY}/${PF} is like the key in a RDB table. The EAPI
18 is just extra info.
19
20 I'll just wrap this up by saying that I don't have an opinion on whether
21 putting the EAPI inside the ebuild or outside is better for the complex
22 operations involved in portage. I'll leave that to the more informed devs :)
23
24 Cheers,
25
26 Rémi