From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New eclass for Python
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:14:37
1 Hello,
2
3 After some work during weekend on Python packages I've decided to start a
4 rewrite of Python/distutils eclass for installing Python packages. My main goal
5 was simplicity and functionality similar to ruby-ng.eclass (thanks Ruby team for
6 your great work!). Python team members already contributed comments and
7 suggestions and helped me to make the eclass better, thank you!
8
9 Highlights:
10 - *SIMPLE*next
11 - uses PYTHON_TARGETS use-expand (no more python-updater, whoooo!)
12 - EAPI4 required, uses REQUIRED_USE
13 - <400 lines of code including documentation
14 - should work for >95% of packages (my educated guess)
15 - did I mention it's *SIMPLE*?
16 - easy to maintain & read so it's also easy to use
17
18 Important thing: I'm not aiming at having 100% functionality of current
19 python.eclass+distutils.eclass in the new one, I think that simplicity is more
20 important that supporting every possible, obscure case that's out there.
21
22 I'm attaching the eclass itself and two ebuilds using it, code is also available
23 in my overlay at http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=dev/nelchael.git;a=summary
24
25 If there are no objections then during the weekend (March 3, 4) I will add this
26 to portage (after finishing remaining TODO items, PyPy requires 4G of RAM(!!)).
29 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
30 desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...

xlwt-0.7.2-r256.ebuild text/plain
xlrd-0.7.1-r256.ebuild text/plain
python_targets.desc text/plain
python-distutils-ng.eclass text/plain